Outdoorledger Towns in Texas ©

| HOME | CONTACT US | DEER HUNTING LEASES | WILD HOG HUNTS | GUIDED HUNTS | MEXICO BASS FISHING | OUTDOOR LEDGER
| CONTACT US | DUCK HUNTING LEASES | GOOSE HUNTS | GUIDED HUNTS | HUNTING GEAR | OUTDOOR LEDGER

  Hallsville, Texas 75650

  Deer Hunting Capital of East Texas!

Hallsville, Texas the "Deer Hunting Capital of East Texas"!   

Hallsville is now famous for Hallsville Western Days, Hallsville Racetrack, the Hallsville Chamber of Commerce Chili Cook-off, and some of the biggest deer racks in East Texas.

East Texas Piney Woods Monster!
Harrison County in Eastern Texas
Click Here for Larger Picture!

HALLSVILLE, TEXAS. Hallsville is located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 80 and Farm Road 450, on the Union Pacific Railroad twelve miles west of Marshall in southwestern Harrison County. The area was first settled in 1839, when Fort Crawford was built one mile west of the site of present Hallsville by W. C. Crawford as a protection against Indians. In 1849 the fort is reported to have had a post office and a two-story building that served as church, Masonic hall, and school (the only school in western Harrison County until 1868).

In 1869, when an independent Southern Pacific Railway crossed a mile north of Fort Crawford, the settlers moved to the railroad and named the new settlement for a railroad official. All that remains at the original location is a cemetery. A post office named Hallville opened in 1869, and the first business in the new community was a saloon. From 1869 to 1872 the town was the terminus of the railroad, and the railroad company built a general office and machine shops there.

The community incorporated for the first time in 1870 and was a boom town, with as many as fifty businesses, in the early 1870s. Hallville shipped cotton, wool, and hides. In 1872, when the Texas and Pacific acquired the railroad and built out to Longview in Gregg County, Hallville lost much of its western trade. In 1873 the railroad moved its local headquarters and shops to Marshall.

Hallville's incorporation lapsed, and the community lost many of its people to Marshall in the later 1870s. In 1884 it had an estimated 600 inhabitants, three churches, six sawmills, six grist mill-gins, a hotel, two saloons, and a cooperative association. By 1892 the population had fallen to 300, but it recovered to 600 in the 1900s. In 1904 the Hallville school district had two schools serving 180 white pupils and one school serving 111 black pupils. A bank opened in the community in 1909 (see below). In the 1920s the post office changed the spelling of its name to Hallsville.

The community reincorporated in 1935. The population fell from 695 in 1920 to 480 in 1930, rose to an estimated 1,000 in the 1940s, and fell again to 600 in the 1950s. After the mid-1960s Hallsville grew steadily in population, reaching a high of 2,096 in 1988. The number of businesses grew from twenty in 1966 to thirty-one in 1988. In 1990 the population was 2,288.

  Hallsville Texas Western Days!

Hallsville, Texas the home of "Hallsville Western Days"!   

In the early 70's Eulyne Lafoy and her husband Lawrence founded Western Days. Members of the local riding club, the Chamber of Commerce and the city came forth to execute the LaFoy's idea of holding a horse show and tack sale to raise money for the city park. Hallsville's goal was to raise funds for a matching government grant for the beautification and updating of the city. Trophies were donated, entry fees were donated and the funds went to the city park.

From that beginning a Western Day's committee was formed and have carried on the tradition since. The event opens on Friday morning when students and staff of Hallsville High School come to school in western attire and activities are held on the campuses. Miss Hallsville Western Days Contestants are introduced at 7 pm prior to the Hallsville Bobcat football game in Bobcat Statium.

  Hallsville First State Bank, Since 1909!

Hallsville, Texas home of First State Bank!   

Hallsville First State Bank Website!

Incorporated August 23, 1909 as: "The First State Bank". Opened for Business October 6, 1909. Cotton was "king" when the bank was organized as evidenced by at least six general merchants, two grocers, two druggists and one cotton ginner, three movie houses, and hotels. The area was teaming with cotton.

Every Saturday was a time to "go to town" to shop and socialize at one of many mercantile and grocery stores. The Hallsville Merchants and Businessmen's Association consisted of T. P. Black, J. W. Holloway, Brown & Cullen, H. J. T. Jones, T. H. Etheridge & Son, A. N. Kennedy, L. P. Ponder, Sypert & Woodall, J. C. Hill, Watt Drug Company, H. P. Lynch, John H. Bass and The First State Bank.

The late C. F. Haywood, father to our own Ethelyn Moore, after receiving a call from a friend at Commercial National Bank of Shreveport, Louisiana, became the Bank's first cashier. He moved from Marshall to Hallsville and began a banking career at The First State Bank that spanned almost 50 years. He was originally from Fort Worth where his father worked for the Fort Worth Gazette, that town's first newspaper.

Over the Last 90 years, The First State Bank has occupied four different locations in Hallsville:

1909 - 1918 Center of block, Main Street (currently C. F. Haywood Ins. Agency)
1919 - 1963 Corner of Central and Main Street
1963 - 1985 123 Main Street
1985 to present 500 W. Main Street

On September 10, 1910 (eleven months after opening) the Total Bank Assets were $42,852.88. This is quite a bit different from current Total Assets of $26,442,722.48 with capital and reserves of $2,733,627.52.

  Hallsville Texas Chamber of Commerce!
Hallsville, Texas Chamber of Commerce!
P. O. Box 535
Hallsville, Texas 75650


Have Your Gear or Equipment Reviewed!    Gear Review Request You can have your hunting, fishing or outdoor gear reviewed on our site. We do reviews on almost any type of products. Click the link following to find out how you can get your products reviewed by our staff.
Get your hunting, fishing or outdoor gear reviewed, Click Here Now!

Excerpts from: Harrison County Historical Herald, November 1966. Marshall News Messenger, August 23, 1936. Sallie M. Lentz, Wikipedia Longview New-Journal, Hallsville News

Outdoorledger Towns in Texas ©

| HOME | CONTACT US | DEER HUNTING LEASES | WILD HOG HUNTS | GUIDED HUNTS | MEXICO BASS FISHING | OUTDOOR LEDGER
| CONTACT US | DUCK HUNTING LEASES | GOOSE HUNTS | GUIDED HUNTS | HUNTING GEAR | OUTDOOR LEDGER